Tectonics, based in Warren, MI, is seeking a highly qualified candidate to join their Operations team as Engineering Director.
The Engineering Director is responsible for the leadership, management, supervision, formulation, administration and coordination of the entire engineering team, all engineering-related projects, initiatives, deliverables and all projects, developments and deliverables related to R&D and other cross-department functions. This role reports to the EVP of Operations and must possess the ability to operate effectively at a director-level position while interfacing with all other departments to carry out the Company’s objectives, while at the same time leading the tactical-level engineering assignments. This person must be an effective leader, strong communicator, a good teacher, highly organized, disciplined, detailed and able to work individually and as part of a team having the ability to organize resources wisely utilizing excellent communication skills. The Engineering Director is a technical expert within the company who will often be called upon to partake in strategic planning with the executive management concerning manufacturing technologies, new products, acquisitions and other growth strategies.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain, teach and enforce engineering and design standard operating procedures in
accordance with industry, trade and technical best practices; promote and implement continuous improvements to these processes and support technical leads to facilitate leading design and engineering practices.
- Ensure the technical and design proficiency of individual engineering team members is
- Perform and schedules engineering activities in compliance with established Company and manufacturing standards, engineering principles, customer requirements, and related specifications.
- Manage and grow Engineering department commensurate with corporate goals and budgets, while increasing the skill level and effectiveness of each team member.
- Engaged with new product development and improvement of existing product lines by performing duties personally or through use of subordinates.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Provide technical expertise or “Help Desk Support” related to manufacturing and pre-sale support providing technical advice to ensure projects are estimated using the appropriate engineering and build approach.
- Troubleshoot new and existing product problems involving designs, materials or processes.
- Direct, review and approve product designs for manufacturability and completeness.
- Prepare documentation for new manufacturing processes or engineering procedures.
- Evaluate manufactured products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Consult with vendors, staff and management personnel regarding purchases, procedures, product specifications, manufacturing capabilities, and project status.
- Coordinate and direct projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities.
- Recruit and hire employees, assign, direct, and evaluate their work, and oversee the development and maintenance of staff competence. Take corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with Company policy.
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing policies, and making decisions about the purchase of materials and services.
- Analyze technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects.
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department.
- Assist project team interpreting drawings throughout project life cycle.
- Maintain engineering project database.
- Collaborate with contracted engineering firms for exhibit structural analysis and safety issues.
- Engineer displays using the Tectonics brand of extrusions, snap tube construction techniques, conventional building materials, standard sizes and attachment methods.
- Engineer cabinetry and other millwork based displays including CNC files.
- Support fabric engineering team to create processes and department that assists in the delivery of fabric patterns for complex shapes and surfaces
- Create production ready fabrication drawings and assembly instructions.
- Generate space plans and custom fabrication details for trade show exhibits manipulating existing properties, adjusting layouts including electrical and other service requirements, noting the booth number, dimensions and exhibitor name.
- Check drawings to make sure they are in compliance with company best practices, fabrication methods, facility rules and restrictions.
- Formulate and implement engineering projects, policies, processes, methods and procedures designed to improve operating performance, reduce waste and delays and otherwise promote cost reductions on a company-wide basis.
Education and Experience
- Preferred Education: Minimum of an Associate Degree or training in an Architectural, Mechanical drafting or Computer Aided Drawing (CAD) field of study from a college or trade school.
- Minimum 5-years of direct work experience in an Architectural or Mechanical drafting capacity as it relates to the event and trade show industry.
- Demonstrated proficiency using SOLIDWORKS; Certified SOLIDWORKS Expert certification preferred.
- Possess a broad understanding of multiple engineering disciplines.
- Experience in Trade Show and Display marketing field.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues and individuals inside and outside the Company.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Must be proficient using MS Office applications such as Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Ability to use Rhino 5.0 and SOLIDWORKS 2017 or greater.
- Ability to use Adobe Suite of software such as Illustrator CS5, Photoshop CS5 and Acrobat or greater a plus.
- Must be a team player and work well with others in process development, corrective action and problem solving.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple activities simultaneously and successfully function in a cross functional manufacturing environment.
- Organizational skills, multi-tasking abilities and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Meeting your commitments and illustrating time management skills.
- Strong Portfolio illustrating diversity, creativity and technical expertise is a must.
- Extended hours (or ability to work irregular hours) may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, on-site show support or off-site personnel / management. Additionally, travel may be required to support other locations.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
For consideration, qualified candidates should submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com