DASI customer, Eastman Outdoors, based in Flushing, MI, is seeking a qualified candidate – with strong SOLIDWORKS experience – to join their team as a Project Engineer.
The Project Engineer is responsible for leading the development of a product from ideation through production start and managing the engineering responsibilities of that product throughout its product life; effectively owning the engineering responsibility from cradle to grave. The Project Engineer will manage a portfolio of product development projects along a specific category (Crossbows, Arrows, Gorilla Gear, or Eastman Outdoors) that are in various states of development and will be the champion to ensure the Eastman Outdoors product development process (PDP) is followed.
The Project Engineer will lead both internal project development and external development with strategic development partners. During this development they will be tasked with working with the Product Manager in order to define the opportunity, understand the IP landscape, design and create feasibility models, validate the deign before tooling start and qualify the off tool products. The Project Engineer will continually monitor what the product costs, project costs, schedule and performance criteria to stay within scope.
The Project Engineer will own the development process from ideation through product launch and will be responsible for working with the team to develop new products in a timely and cost efficient manner.
- Work closely with Product Management, Quality, and Industrial Design to clearly define product requirements and gain alignment on the intended end deliverable.
- Provide a comprehensive knowledge of material and manufacturing processes that can be factored into new designs. Including watching the market for new emerging materials, technologies, and processes that may carry over to our product lines.
- Own the Product Development Process (PDP) to insure the project remains within scope and is delivered within cost and budget.
- Lead state of the art intellectual property (IP) searches and draft patent submittals for new IP within your category of products.
- Be a leading member for initiating design reviews of competitive products and documenting how they are winning and/or losing with their design.
- Develop 3D drawings capable of being sent out for tooling development.
- Work with suppliers to validate tooling and qualify new designs though Engineering and Manufacturing builds.
- Own the development of the costed BOM and product specification while working with quality to define any 3rd party testing requirements and the qualification test plan.
- Lead Phase Gate meetings to SR. Management in which the project objectives and deliverables are reported out throughout the development process.
- Coordinating design efforts with outside firms as needed insuring they maintain budget, design intent, and schedule.
- Lead annual cost reduction reviews with Product Management and suppliers for your product category.
- Work to generate corrective actions on post production start quality or design issues.
Specific Education and Experience:
- A BS in mechanical engineering or a similar field.
- 3-5 years of experience in Project Engineering Experience
- Strong background in SOLIDWORKS
- Understanding of lean product development principles; 6-Sigma or Black Belt certification is a plus.
- Experience in partnering and collaborating with suppliers
- Strong project management background including experience within a tollgate based product development system.
Interested, qualified individuals should submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org